Our furry friends are waiting for you!
There are many cats and kittens to choose from. You can select a furry friend that is perfect for you. There are loveable cats and kittens of every age, colour, size, length of fur and temperament. Some of the animals have special needs. Caring for these animals can be especially rewarding. Thankfully, most cats are quickly adopted into loving homes, but there are always new furry friends patiently waiting their turn to find life-long companions. Cats that don't find adoptive homes always have a home at our shelter.
Important things to consider!
Adopting an animal is an important decision. Caring for an animal requires a long-term commitment. Here are some things to think about before adopting a furry friend:
• Do you have the budget for food, litter, ongoing vaccinations and any necessary medical treatments?
• Do you have time at home to interact with your pet?
• Do you have other animals at home?
• Do you have babies or small children at home?
• Do you have permission from your landlord?
• Furry Friends' policy is not to declaw. For more information on declawing, click this link.
• Kitten Considerations: Furry Friends will adopt kittens under 6 months of age to families who already have a cat or kitten at home OR are willing to adopt a companion cat or kitten at the same time. We do this to avoid "single kitten syndrome" and to ensure that the young kitten develops into a well socialized cat. Furry Friends will not adopt a kitten under 6 months of age to a family with children who are under 5 years of age. We believe that living with a cat can be beneficial to children and that cats can enhance children's self esteem, teach them responsibility and help them learn empathy. We also know that safety and rough play can be concerns for both the kitten and the child.
What’s the process? COVID-19 Adoption Protocols (as of May 30/20)
1. Find your BFF (best furry friend)!
All adorable cats and kittens are featured on our website (and Facebook too). You can search by key characteristics (age, colour, sex), see their photos, and read their bios!
2. See a kitty you like? Complete and sign the online adoption application form. A Furry Friends adoption volunteer will arrange a phone interview with you to review your application.
3. Meet your furry friend via Zoom! We will schedule a time for you to meet your furry friend virtually (at a foster volunteer's home or at the shelter)! You can see the cat/kitten interacting with a volunteer and ask questions about their personality.
4. Have you fallen in love? A volunteer will email you an adoption contract and other paperwork. Simply read, sign, and return.
5. Adoption fees are accepted via etransfer to Furry Friends.
Kittens: (under 1 year): $220
Adult Cats (1 year+): $190
This adoption fee covers the basic costs involved in preparing animals for adoption. (often there are additional costs that aren't covered like surgeries and special medical treatments). All cats are spayed/neutered before they are adopted, have all age appropriate shots, and are treated for parasites (i.e. deworming, flea prevention). Any illnesses are treated before adoption.
6. Pick up your kitty! We will schedule an appointment for you to pick up your new furry friend at the shelter (25 Hart Drive, Unit 15, Barrie, Ontario) or other agreed-upon location with safe physical distancing measures in place. You will receive a copy of their medical records, details to update their microchip information, and tips on how to get ready for the new arrival. Adopters must provide their own carrier.
7. Enjoy your new arrival! A volunteer will call you within a week to check-in and ensure everything is going well.
Furry Friends is proud to partner with PetSmart (33 Mapleview Drive East, Barrie, Ontario, see map) and select Pet Valu locations in Barrie and Innisfil (see below) to match cats and kittens with loving pet parents! We are excited to reimagine our adoption program with new health and safety measure in place as businesses reopen.
Pet Valu Wellington Plaza (165 Wellington St. W., Barrie)
Pet Valu Cundles (617 Cundles Rd E., Barrie)
Pet Valu Yonge (632 Yonge St., Barrie)
Pet Valu Innisfil (1491 Innisfil Beach Road, Innisfil)
Pet Valu Bayfield (531 Bayfield Street North)
We and our supporters love hearing how adopted kitties are doing with their new families so please share your stories on our Facebook, Instagram and/or Twitter pages!